- August 18th- August 26th, 2019 .
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT TO SEE AND DO
This trip is a collaboration between Sacred Footsteps and Burgundy Roots and together we look forward to welcoming people from all over the world! We’ll be exploring the little-known history of Islam in the Caribbean, and introducing you to small, burgeoning Muslim communities all around the island. We want you to immerse yourself in authentic Jamaican culture by staying in locally owned Bed & Breakfasts, eating locally grown produce and enriching yourself from the inside out.
On this retreat, you’ll learn about the origins of Islam with renowned lecturer Mustafa Briggs. We’ll visit Jamaica’s very first mosque, pray in peace, remember Allah and enjoy an exquisite 5 course farm-to-table meal at Stush in the Bush organic farm. You’ll also have the opportunity to enjoy Jamaica’s beautiful nature and swim in waterfalls and lagoons. We’ll hike up the famous Blue Mountains, visit a humble and welcoming Rasta community and forget all stereotypes one might have about the island. This won’t be about all day tanning, beachside braids and gift shop Rasta hats (not that there’s anything wrong with that); we just want to rejuvenate you in a different way. After all, we travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us, right? We want to share the glory, struggles and beauty of this island- a BEAST of an island, as you will find out!
$2,050 US PER PERSON (excluding airfare, lunches, remaining dinners)
This will cover the following:
- Private transportation across the island for 9 days
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- All accommodation (please note that we will stay in Jamaican owned guest houses and hotels only)
- Daily breakfast and two complimentary dinners
- Entrance to all major and lesser known attractions/ tourist sites in every parish (Kingston, Portland, St-Ann)
Please note: All international flights to and from Jamaica are *not* included in the price.
THE TOUR WILL LAST 9 DAYS AND WE WILL VISIT THE FOLLOWING CITIES:
- Portland (5 nights)
- Kingston (3 nights)
DAY 1: Portland
Arrive in Kingston and meet the rest of the group. From Kingston, we’ll make our way to Portland (3h30 minute drive). Upon arrival at our villa, you can relax, unwind, mingle and enjoy refreshments. You’ll meet the Burgundy Roots team, enjoy a group dinner and get to know eachother better.
DAY 2: Portland
- Beach day, boat ride and cookout. Enjoy a cookout on a deserted beach. Stretch, swim and eat!
- Daily class with Mustafa Briggs
DAY 3: Portland
- Waterfalls: Waterfall cookout, swim, dive and explore beautiful local falls!
- Living Daylights Cafe: documentary screening followed by a conscious, roots Reggae music.
DAY 4: Portland
- Beach morning
- Indigenous community visit
- Evening class with Mustafa Briggs
DAY 5: Portland
- Secret local beach day and beach cookout
- Evening class with Mustafa Briggs
DAY 6: Kingston/ St-Ann’s (3 hour drive)
- Organic farm visit: It is a love story. It is the combination of Rastafari and Chic. It is the blending of ‘Ital’ farming and exotic vegetables. It is the love of mother nature and the love of fine dining. It is rustic and it is gourmet. (3 hour drive from Portland to St-Ann’s)
- After our farm visit, we will make our way to the iconic city of Kingston and spend our last 3 nights. (3 hour drive from St-Ann’s to Kingston)
DAY 7: Kingston
- Spanish town mosque visit (Jamaica’s very first mosque)
- Rasta community mountain hike
- Lunch at Eits Cafe (farm to table)
DAY 8: Kingston
- Kingston mosque
- Bob Marley museum/ Coffee Estate Tour
- Farewell dinner in a private estate in the Blue Mountains
DAY 9: Departure day
WHO IS THIS TOUR SUITABLE FOR?
This tour will appeal to culture and nature lovers. Our retreats are very unique and off the beaten path, we provide an authentic experience and bring guests to parts of Jamaica that operate by their own rhythm and do not cater to tourists. We strongly believe in giving back locally and that is why we chose to lodge in locally owned guest houses and/or villas. We ask that at our guests be open to various experiences; traveling with heart open and spirit ready! This is a path to enriching yourself while giving back to local communities.
All EU citizens, American, Canadian and UK citizens do not require a visa upon entry. All other world citizens must apply for a visa in advance. Please contact us for advice.
To book your place on the tour, please complete the form below to hold your slot. We will be in touch with you upon receiving your form. For further information about the trip, please contact us. If you would like to join us for a future tour, join our mailing list and we’ll be sure to share information about upcoming retreats!